Thursday, August 27, 2015

Cinder

Title: Cinder

Author: Marissa Meyer

First Published: January 3rd, 2012

Series: The Lunar Chronicles

Genre: YA, Fantasy, Sci-Fi

Available As: Hardcover, paperback, ebook

Pages: 390

My Rating: 9/10

Goodreads Summary:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

One of my favourite fairy-tale retellings! A spin-off from the original Cinderella, Cinder tells the story of a cyborg girl in New Beijing. Prince Charming? Check. Evil Stepmother? Check. Ugly Stepsisters? Check. Well, one of them is. Blending Fantasy and Sci-Fi together, Marissa Meyer creates a world where nothing is as it seems.

Cinder is a very interesting character because 1. she's a cyborg and 2. she's a mechanic. How many mechanics do you read about these days? Skilled at her job, she does her best to survive in her harsh family and tries her hardest to find a way to leave. Things seem fine right? Until her sister Peony catches the deadly disease (letumosis) and eventually dies. Cinder is sent off to be a test subject, where she finds out that not only is she immune to letumosis, she is also not who she thought she was.

Throughout the book, we can see that Cinder is a strong-willed character who doesn't really care for anything but the greater good. Her character develops slowly: from naive mechanic to brave, strong girl. At the end, we see Cinder determined to find a way out of this mess. I'm glad that she didn't decide to roll over and give up. Many people in her shoes would've done so. I mean, being kept custody by Lunars? I bet their security is at level 9000.

Cinder is a great book perfect for those who love fairy-tale retellings. Who could ask for more?

My Chosen Quote:
Even in the future the story begins with Once Upon A Time.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more with this! I loved Cinder, both book and character. This was one of the first books I've ever read and loved about a cyborg, mechanic, and "alien." The author really outdid herself with this world! I loved the part about Lunar security being at level 9000 ;) Intense security indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! I hope you liked my post! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so if you'd like to drop me a little message/comment, that would probably make my day! :) Thanks for visiting my blog!