Sunday, August 2, 2015

Sea Of Shadows

"But we have time to waste."
Title: Sea Of Shadows

Author: Kelly Armstrong

First Published: 2014

Series: Age of Legends (Book 1)

Genre: Fantasy, YA

Available As: Hardcover, paperback, ebook

My Rating: 9/10

Goodreads Summary:
In the Forest of the Dead, where the empire’s worst criminals are exiled, twin sisters Moria and Ashyn are charged with a dangerous task. For they are the Keeper and the Seeker, and each year they must quiet the enraged souls of the damned.

Only this year, the souls will not be quieted.

Ambushed and separated by an ancient evil, the sisters’ journey to find each other sends them far from the only home they’ve ever known. Accompanied by a stubborn imperial guard and a dashing condemned thief, the girls cross a once-empty wasteland, now filled with reawakened monsters of legend, as they travel to warn the emperor. But a terrible secret awaits them at court—one that will alter the balance of their world forever.

Wow! This book was amazing. I was pulled into the story from the first page. With danger at every corner, Moria and Ashyn were pushed to their limits. Fighting legendary monsters and dealing with an ancient evil will not be easy. For half of the book, Moria and Ashyn were separated, each accompanied by a boy. Moria was with Gavril and Ashyn with Ronan. Both equally interesting boys with different pasts.

The book is told in third person, but it jumps from what is happening to Moria to what is happening to Ashyn. Most of the time, I found myself thinking: Come on! I don't care, get back to [insert one of the twins names here]. The focus point ends with a cliffhanger, and then jumps to the other.

But one thing that irked me in the book was the introduction of completely irrelevant characters. For example, in the beginning, there were many characters (that I don't remember the names of anymore) that were introduced and were given detailed backstories, but have them die in the next chapter. Also,  Tova and Daigo? They are the loyal and dedicated companions for the Keeper and Seeker, but they don't seem to do much. Apart from warning them of danger and (sometimes) protecting their Keeper/Seeker. So I guess that counts as something.

Moria and Ashyn are polar opposites. Moria is the reckless twin that does what she wants and doesn't give two flying bats what anyone else thinks. Ashyn is more reserved, but does have her brave times. But we don't really see the two working together as an effective team. The most effective team is probably Moria and Gavril, but look at how that turned out...

I'm not sure if romance is meant to play a big part in the story, but it is hinted for sure. I think Ronan has a crush on Ashyn - and vice versa. Moria probably doesn't like Gavril (yet!) and I have no idea what Gavril wants.

Speaking of Gavril... Is he doing it for himself? Or is there a deeper reason why? I guess we'll find out in the next book!

My Chosen Quote
“Curiosity is what lets a young mind grow and keeps an old mind young.”

1 comment:

  1. I've seen this book around! It sounds really good, but I've been hesitant on reading it as I didn't really enjoy the author's other series. But I think I'm going to definitely have to give this book a try, especially since you've given it such a high rating! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! I hope you liked my post! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so if you'd like to drop me a little message/comment, that would probably make my day! :) Thanks for visiting my blog!