Friday, August 12, 2016

Lady Midnight

Title: Lady Midnight

Author: Cassandra Clare

First Published: March 8th 2016

Series: The Dark Artifices #1

Genre: YA, Fantasy, Romance

Available As: Hardcover, paperback, ebook

Pages: 698

My Copy: Physical Copy

My Overall Rating: 8.5/10

Goodreads Summary
In a kingdom by the sea… 

 In a secret world where half-angel warriors are sworn to fight demons, parabatai is a sacred word.  

A parabatai is your partner in battle. A parabatai is your best friend. Parabatai can be everything to each other—but they can never fall in love. 

Emma Carstairs is a warrior, a Shadowhunter, and the best in her generation. She lives for battle. Shoulder to shoulder with her parabatai, Julian Blackthorn, she patrols the streets of Los Angeles, where vampires party on the Sunset Strip, and faeries—the most powerful of supernatural creatures—teeter on the edge of open war with Shadowhunters. When the bodies of humans and faeries turn up murdered in the same way Emma’s parents were when she was a child, an uneasy alliance is formed. This is Emma’s chance for revenge—and Julian’s chance to get back his brother Mark, who is being held prisoner by the faerie Courts. All Emma, Mark, and Julian have to do is solve the murders within two weeks…and before the murderer targets them. 

Their search takes Emma from sea caves full of sorcery to a dark lottery where death is dispensed. And each clue she unravels uncovers more secrets. What has Julian been hiding from her all these years? Why does Shadowhunter Law forbid parabatai to fall in love? Who really killed her parents—and can she bear to know the truth?

The darkly magical world of Shadowhunters has captured the imaginations of millions of readers across the globe. Join the adventure in Lady Midnight, the long-awaited first volume of a new trilogy from Cassandra Clare.

Back into the world of Shadowhunters! It's been five years since the events in City of Heavenly Fire, and now we've moved across the country to Los Angeles. Following the stories of Emma Carstairs and Julian Blackthorn, we find out that Shadowhunters are never really safe.

Emma is fuelled by pain, anger and revenge for the majority of this book. The murder of her parents have never really left her alone, and she feels as if she will not be at peace unless the murderer is caught and killed by her alone. We've seen this a lot, where the main character thinks revenge is the only way. I really liked it when they finally found a lead on the case, and the whole Blackthorn family decided to help Emma. It really shows the bond between them, and that Emma is basically a Blackthorn now.

I liked how the plot incorporated a murder mystery of some sorts. Many people are being murdered, and the reasons are unclear at first. I really liked the whole Blackthorn family working against the Clave to figure out whodunnit, smashing - basically - all the laws. The Blackthorn family motto really fit into this book, but look at all the trouble it got them in. Let me say, I would have never guessed who was behind all this! I understand their anguish, but they really had no chance ;(

Emma and Julian! Their relationship is so sweet yet so sad. They are parabatai, so it is illegal for them to be in love. But they just fit each other like two puzzle pieces, and I felt so bad whenever they thought that they had a chance, but really didn't. Also, we now know why the Clave forbids romantic relationships between parabatai! *Spoiler alert* As confirmed by Jem, the runes they create are a lot more powerful. Like when Julian was dying from poison and Emma still managed to save them! Woah! I guess the Clave doesn't want too powerful Shadowhunters running around, because then it proves that Shadowhunters can harness a more stronger power/magic. *Spoiler over*

I won't classify this as a spoiler, because we find out in first few chapters. Mark is back, after all his time with the Wild Hunt. When I first read about it, I barely remembered what the Hunt was, so I had to google it (on the Shadowhunter's wiki, haha) It has been too long since I've read COHF. Anyways, Mark is aloof, quiet and out of place. It is true that his time spent with the Wild Hunt has really changed him. The Blackthorns do try to make him feel at home, but it's difficult for everyone. Oh YES how do you feel about Keiran and Mark? I think Kieran really does care for Mark, but he just shows it in ways that may rub off wrong. Do you ship them? I kind of do... but not hardcore shipping like Emma and Jules :) *Spoiler alert* What do you think about the ending? Emma breaking up with Julian and having Mark as a fake boyfriend? I don't even know if it will be fake, since Mark seems to be also want a relationship with her! UGH what is going on? :( *spoiler over* Sometimes, I feel like Mark is jumping around from person to person. He is in a (complicated) relationship with Kieran, he shows feelings for Cristina, and he flirts with Emma. WHAT. WHAT IS THIS.

Now onto the ending. I nearly flung the book across my room in frustration. That cliffhanger, and I have to wait a year?! A YEAR. I don't know what will happen now! It seems as if everything has gone to plan, they had defeated the bad guy, but now... there might be a worse one coming.*Spoiler alert - major spoiler alert, read at own risk* How will Annabelle react when she finds out her love had died for her? Will she seek revenge on the Clave? Or will she try to find a way to bring him back? *Spoiler over*

Like all Cassandra Clare books, I adored this one. Although it was only the first book, I thought it started off really strong and I can't wait for the next book. I can't decide whether I prefer TDA or TMI more, but my all time favourite is TID! What about you?

My Chosen Quote
“There was beauty in the idea of freedom, but it was an illusion. Every human heart was chained by love.”

2 comments:

  1. This is the only Clare's book that I haven't read, and I've heard amazing things about this one! But one of my friend that actually read this said she can't even finish it sooo... it got me really scared! Anyway, I'm still kinda exicted to see more of the shadowhunters world and new characters. Great review Cloe!<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really enjoyed it, and I hope you do too :)

      Delete

Hi there! I hope you liked my post! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so if you'd like to drop me a little message/comment, that would probably make my day! :) Thanks for visiting my blog!