Monday, December 26, 2016

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda

Title: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda

Author: Becky Albertalli

First Published: April 7th, 2015

Series: Stand Alone

Genre: YA Fiction, Contemporary

Available As: Hardcover, paperback, ebook

Pages: 320

My Copy: Physical copy 

My Overall Rating: 8/10

Goodreads Summary
Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised. 

With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.


I had quite high expectations for this book, especially since I've read so many amazing reviews about it. I was not disappointed! It's been a while since I've read book involving LGBTQ themes and I really enjoyed this one.

Like all Contemporary fiction, of course there were moments were I was bored to tears when the plot was not advancing at all. But as a whole? The book was amazing. It deals with the fears of coming out and accepting who you are. Simon is doing fine with the latter, but he is scared of the former. It really doesn't help when Martin (i.e. the Jerk) blackmails him using that.

I really enjoyed reading the emails between Simon and Blue. Did I manage to guess who Blue was? I had my suspicions but I wasn't sure which person he was exactly. I had two people in mind, but I leaned towards one more than the other. It was a matter of flicking through the book and ruling off all those who were definitely not him, then trying to match up the clues given. Haha, I felt like a detective ;)

Ah, when they finally meet? That is my favourite scene ever! It was so cute and fluffy and I think my neighbours could hear me squealing :) They are a sweet couple and I wish there was more to read about them, but we can't have everything, right?


My Chosen Quote
“People really are like house with vast rooms and tiny windows. And maybe it's a good thing, the way we never stop surprising each other.”

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, this book was absolutely amazing! I didn't guess Blue's identity at all. But at the very end, when Simon and Blue met, I was just squealing and literally couldn't stop smiling. It was perfect! ^.^

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! I hope you liked my post! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so if you'd like to drop me a little message/comment, that would probably make my day! :) Thanks for visiting my blog!